Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Surrounding Me

Dear Friend....
Oh what to do!!!
How do you make 70 timber laminate walls "trendy"
Is it possible?
Am I asking to much?


It seems to be everywhere I look...
Surrounding me like a ikea store...
Not knowing which way is the right and getting lost at every turn...

I need some help!!!
Has anyone seem a pic of a room or house that has this in it and it worked...
Or do I just hold out and paint, paint, paint!!!

The lounge room has now had 3 coats of paint and the Hmmmm
and the stained yellow colour still seems to be coming through...
I think at some point I may have to add a tint of colour...
But not right now as I am painting the kitchen which I do think is coming up a bit better than the lounge room...
But don't you just love the wall thingy....
It is attached and I wasn't really into ripping it off the walls
It could have been a tad out from the wall...
But I can live with weird stuff so it's OK...
I am thinking some nice prints in the little nooks
and some crocheted do hickeys...

We are ripping up the carpet soon...
Don't you just Love the swirls of brown and orange....
And it's rubber backed as well and glued to the old floor boards....
Oh the shame...
Now that's going to take a bit of work....
I think that's a husband job!!!

And last pic is of the louvred windows...
There is quiet a few in the house and while
not good for keeping out the cold they are gorgeous....in my book...
very very cute...
But a pain to clean...and I do have quite a few to still get to...

So dear friend I was going to ask...
How was your holiday...
Did Santa come...do you have a cold snap...
Well believe it or not we did...
Ever since Christmas Day it has been raining and really really chilly..
I have been extra careful not to slip thou...
But today while moving a couch over I did manage to pull something in my back...
and next minute I was on the floor...
I would now like to apologize to all in my family who have suffered with
back pain and I have been a bit
Hmmmm ignorant to say the least...
So sorry...I now know what it is like and I don't like it one bit...
So I have lots of "deep heat" rubbed on it and all I can say
is it better be gone by tomorrow...
I just have too much to do...
So till next installment...
Wherever you are Dear Friend
Take care...
Regards Michelle...

Loving The Vintage...

11 comments:

  1. oh my .... sand it ... get a good primer ..... prime them ..... and paint paint paint .... or strip out the laminate which is laboursome and long .... possibly you could experiement with sanding and trying a distressed look of some kind. Have you looked at Porter Paints? They have some fantasic products :) good luck in any case!!! I am looking forward to seeing how you go!

    http://www.porterspaints.com.au/default.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that panelling is somewhat reminiscent of a sauna, but I love the wood panelling painted white. Just visualise how it will look when you get rid of the carpet and have lovely floorboards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michelle, Your back is saying...SLOW DOWN !!! Please make sure yu look after yourself in amongst all this crazy work !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't bother painting it. Just cover it as much as possible with lots of lovely artwork including some of your crocheted goodness. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day Michelle...
    Yes we have had rain here, lots of it... actually the most for Dec in 5 years they say... but the humidity is still right on up there so no relief there sadly...
    I'd say your little River Cottage - although with 70 walls it doesn't sound too 'small'- might of been re-vamped back about 40 - 50 years ago especially with the louvres... as painful as they are they often drag the cool breeze in in summer but there again so do casement windows...
    Maybe it's time for some more hooky goodness time while your back mends... Chin up you will get there... Bethel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking primer is your friend! I'm sure it will look great when you're done (easy for me to say since you're doing all the work)! Love the louvered windows!

    Happy New Year,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm painting over some lino covered pantry shelves at the moment and am surprised how well it is going. I think the secret, as your other readers have mentioned, is the primer - admittedly, I have been giving the shelves 2 coats of primer!
    Hang in there - you'll be so glad when it's all painted - but have lots of rests.

    The end of 2009 was pretty good for me.
    I stood in front of Van Gogh's Starry Night.
    It was fabulous.
    Hope you have a fabulous 2010 in your new 'old' little cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy new year Michelle!!!! I think it will look gorgeous all white and the key is a good undercoat that is slightly tinted to cover what you are covering, we had to do it with our painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, it is so exciting reading about your new cottage and watching it change. I must say I am with the "paint it white" team, then you can go back and add some colour maybe, once you have a blank canvas. We are having a little bit of cold snap here in London at the moment, actually it's more like a return to the ice age. Of course everything has ground to a halt as usual. Kids are off school and we are having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay so first up, having dealt with back issues in the past i'm sending you lots of hugs and you know, even though some say heat is not the answer, i can't help but get my hotwater bottle out at times such as these...
    as to the little wall shelf thingy. oh my!!! how lovely it that, i see it too with potholders and pictures. and despite the awful chore ahead with all the whiting out, it looks fabulous really truly lovely.
    and when you get the furniture in place and the curtains hung the shadows you see laughing at you from under the paintwork are perhaps not as bad as you think, trust me on this one ;)

    feel better soon my friend
    Tif x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I've just discovered your blog for the first time. We had a similar problem when painting walls white - the answer is to "paint" the walls with a mixture of PVA and water 50/50. Once dry one coat of paint will stay white without any discolouration. Best wishes, Pjx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for "Loving The Vintage" as much as I do...